Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Watermelon Tourmaline

When I was pregnant with my first child Zachary I took a trip to Auburn, CA with the girls, a last hooray before he was born. I was mushing thru a Rock, Jewelry kind of store...your typical tourist shop. They had the most wonderful watermelon tourmaline slices. I spoke the the man about making me a pair or earrings as I have always luuvved that stone. At the time I could not with a conscience commit to buying them with all the baby furniture and other baby luggage to buy. But it has always been the the back of my mind. At that time I was not making jewelry. Now 3 some odd years later I was at the Tacoma Bead Show, my first outing by myself w/o the kids or hubby since they all were born, and what do I see....I wonderful strand of Rainbow Tourmaline watermelon slices. I had to buy them. Ever week since I pick them up and admire them and put them down. Then it hit me one day to USE THEM! So far here are my creations. I really wanted to showcase the stone. The earrings on the right are unoxidized sterling the set on the left is oxidized. I am not sure which one I like better. I do think I want to reshoot the picture of the unoxidized version as I am not 100% pleased with the results. It is difficult to shoot as the stone is translucent. These and other handcrafted jewelry are available on my website tekaandzoe.com.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin